Global classes invited by professors from overseas prestigious universities have been held since this year to provide high-quality classes created by teachers from overseas prestigious universities to students to improve the level of education and establish a global learning platform.
1. Lecturer: Prof. Debashish Bhattacharya
- Distinguished Professor, Dept. Biochemistry and Microbiology, Rutgers University
- Global researcher in intracellular symbiosis and plant evolution, genomics, eukaryotic diversity, and coral research
- Published a number of papers in world-renowned academic journals such as Science (h-index: 82).
- Lab website: https://bhattacharyalab.com
- Oct. 5 (Wed): How our planet became green
The origin of oxygenic photosynthesis in cyanobacteria fundamentally changed the trajectory of life on Earth, shifting us to an oxygen-rich atmosphere. The subsequent transfer of photosynthetic capacity to algae and plants through primary endosymbiosis revitalized aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, making possible the rise of animals and, ultimately, humans. In this lecture, I will discuss how the photosynthetic organelle, the plastid, originated in eukaryotes and the many remarkable genetic innovations that were needed to ensure survival of this organelle. Overall, we can think of primary endosymbiosis as a steep wall that must be scaled, rather than the steady accumulation of mutations, to allow survival of the nascent organelle. I refer to this as the endosymbiotic ratchet, which helps explain why primary endosymbiosis is so rare.
- Nov. 23 (Wed): Multi-omics methods to understand coral biology and advance reef conservation
3. Host: Department of Biological Sciences (Prof. Hwan Su Yoon’s Evolution Course)
4. Time and Place
- Oct. 5 (Wed) 09:00-10:30 /Engineering Building 2 Live Virtual Classroom #27111
- Nov. 23 (Wed) 09:00-10:30 /Engineering Building 2 Live Virtual Classroom #27111
5. Zoom Link
- Oct. 5 (Wed): https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84874114659?pwd=U1dOcDBGcmd5aVdvL2tzUVZsOEZPQT09
- Nov. 23 (Wed): https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87065636147?pwd=eUk3RlFJbXBTeDJkZ2txRWx3aTNMQT09
6. Please turn On your Video and turn Off your Mic.